Wednesday, April 13, 2011

GM Cows Make "Human" Milk

First pigs, then chicken, now: dairy cows. It seems no animals are safe from genetic modification these days. Say hello to GM cattle that produce "human" milk - milk with the same properties as human breast milk - in an attempt to make cows' milk more nutritious.


When parents turn to formula to feed their babies, many worry that this substitute isn't as healthy as the real thing. This is the motivation behind research at the China Agricultural University (funded by a biotechnology corporation) which aims to create cows' milk that contains some of the proteins found in human breast milk, proteins that help boost babies' immune systems and reduces their risk of infections. The scientists have even figured out how to boost the milk fat content by 20% and tinker with the levels of milk solids, such that this new milk is close in composition to human milk.

Hm, that sounds good. Until you realize that China's rules on GM technology aren't exactly strict. Even if you don't believe there are health risks associated with frankenfoods, you would still want them to be rigorously tested, right? Or, imagine this GM milk doesn't meet Canadian or American standards... how would you feel about it being consumed by millions in China and other countries with weaker regulations? I'm not sure this is a clear-cut issue.

Let's consider the cows, too. I'm a little shocked to hear that during two experiments, only 26 of 42 newborn GM calves survived their first few months, with the rest perishing to gastrointestinal disease. I can't be the only person to feel that it's unfair for baby cows to have to suffer and die so that human babies experience fewer infections. I'd feel differently if this new technology was meant to save lives on a large scale in a population where many babies' lives are at risk. But something tells me that's not the target demographic.

Well, those are my thoughts. Your turn: is this a good idea or a bad idea? Would you feed GM dairy milk to your baby?




Photo credit.

12 comments:

  1. In general, I'm semi-pro-GM... I think that a lot of it is wasteful and stupid (GM Superpig comes to mind), but I also think that it *can* be used responsibly and with intelligence.

    This... is not an example of that. This is just a little ridiculous. Okay, a lot ridiculous... and very, very dangerous (anyone else remember when Coca-cola was recommended as a baby food substitute?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the GMOs I've read about accomplish the same thing: letting Big Agriculture continue unsustainable practices. So even if I had no other issues with genetic modification, I'd still oppose GMOs on the grounds that we don't need them, especially not if they serve to line someone's pockets. Enviropig is a great example!

    When was Coca-Cola recommended as a baby food substitute?! I'm horrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap, my bad... I said "Coca-Cola", I meant "Nestle"... they're the ones that make bottle milk (something like 50% of the international market, apparently). They do things like offer "free samples" of baby formula to hospitals in the 3rd World, and advertise that it's a viable alternative for poor mothers (despite the World Health Organization banning advertising of baby formula, since it's considered to be extremely unhealthy at the best of times).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Nestle, the corporation I love to hate. I'm glad they continue to receive lots of flak for stunts like this. Just wish governments would actually step in and stop them from engaging in blatantly unethical marketing activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...ew. Not that I plan to have kids ever, but this is just cruel, unusual, and unnecessary. Frankly, despite the socioeconomic issues, I'd sooner hire a wetnurse than trust this stuff if I were unable or unwilling to breast feed the kids I'm not going to have.

    I feel bad for the calves, but I think veal calves that are byproducts of the traditional dairy industry have even worse lives. Time to go make some more almond milk...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're probably right. I bet they keep the calves in the same conditions they keep adult cattle (for beef), and it's not pretty. I wonder how these GM calves are treated?

    I also wonder if this research/product is a response to the growing number of people who are switching away from dairy milk and milk products? I'm sure the industry is losing money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all around disgusting.I would stay far away from this milk. They're messing with nature and that can't be good. I generally try to stay away from cow's milk (unless it's ice cream!)and that's without any GM. I wouldn't feed this to my baby, any baby or any one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not feed my babies this! It is simple really - if you want to give your child the benefits of breastmilk, then breastfeed your child. This is not rocket science people. Stop tinkering with nature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments, Lori. I definitely hear you re: messing with nature. That's generally what I'm afraid of when it comes to GMOs, the uncertainty down the road. For now, there isn't any proof that ingesting these new foods is causing harm, but cigarettes don't cause cancer until later in life, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry, I agree that this is not rocket science, but some parents experience certain complications that could make it unwise or difficult to breastfeed. The question is, what alternative should they turn to? For example, is wet-nursing acceptable in North America? I know so little about this topc!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, GM needs to be outlawed! The ONLY reason GM is around is so companies can make more money off patents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly! Sadly, since money is the reason, it won't be outlawed. The US government, and increasingly, Canada's, too, is all too happy to cater to the will of corporations. I'm not sure how to beat this one.

    ReplyDelete